Re: PATCH: index-only scans with partial indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: PATCH: index-only scans with partial indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

At Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:00:33 +0200, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
<5606C121.10205@2ndquadrant.com>
> Hi,
>
> On 09/26/2015 01:28 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
> > The patch does not change the check_index_only implementation - it
> > still needs to check the clauses, just like in v1 of the patch. To
> > make this re-check unnecessary, we'd have to stick the remaining
> > clauses somewhere, so that check_index_only can use only the filtered
> > list (instead of walking through the complete list of restrictions).
>
> After thinking about this a bit more, I realized we already have a
> good place for keeping this list - IndexClauseSet. So I've done that,

The place looks fine but it might be better that rclauses have
baserestrictinfo itself when indpred == NIL. It would make the
semantics of rclauses more consistent.

> and removed most of the code from check_index_only - it still needs to
> decide whether to use the full list of restrictions (regular indexes)
> or the filtered list (for partial indexes).

The change above allows to reduce the modification still left in
check_index_only.

> Calling predicate_implied_by in match_clause_to_index makes the check
> a bit earlier, compared to the v1 of the patch. So theoretically there
> might be cases where we'd interrupt the execution between those
> places, and the v1 would not pay the price for the call. But those
> places are fairly close together, so I find that unlikely and I've
> been unable to reproduce a plausible example of such regression
> despite trying.
>
> The only regression test this breaks is "aggregates", and I believe
> that's actually correct because it changes the plans like this:
>
>        ->  Index Only Scan Backward using minmaxtest2i on minmaxtest2
>              Index Cond: (f1 IS NOT NULL)
>        ->  Index Only Scan using minmaxtest3i on minmaxtest3
> -            Index Cond: (f1 IS NOT NULL)
>
> i.e. it removes the Index Condition from scans of minmaxtest3i, which
> is perfectly sensible because the index is defined like this:
>
> create index minmaxtest3i on minmaxtest3(f1) where f1 is not null;
>
> So it's partial index and that condition is implied by the predicate
> (it's actually exactly the same).

Agreed. It looks an unexpected-but-positive product.

> I haven't fixed those regression tests for now.
>

> > Or perhaps we can do the check in match_clause_to_index, pretty much
> > for free? If the clause is not implied by the index predicate (which
> > we know thanks to the fix), and we don't assign it to any of the
> > index columns, it means we can'd use IOS, no?
>
> After thinking about this a bit more, this is clearly nonsense. It
> fails on conditions referencing multiple columns (WHERE a=b) which
> can't be assigned to a single index column. So the logic would have to
> be much more complicated, effectively doing what check_index_only is
> doing just a tiny bit later.

cost_index() seems to need to be fixed. It would count excluded
clauses in estimate.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi