Re: Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-09-26 21:54:46 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> > We discussed this in some other thread, not long ago.  I looked briefly
> > in the archives but couldn't find it.  I think the conclusion was
> > something along the lines of "hmm, tough".

> That's hours, even days of fun ahead for sure.

To me that's a somewhat serious bug, and something that we probably need
to address at some point.

> Honestly I have the feeling that the discussion of this thread gets
> unproductive, let's not forget that the patch presented on this thread is
> just aiming at adding one test case to ensure that extensions using
> dumpable relations with FKs get correctly dumped, which is to ensure that
> we do not reintroduce a bug that existed in the extension facility since
> its introduction in 9.1. That being said, the patch is just fine for this
> purpose, but that's just my opinion.

It's an unsustainable test model. Adding own test runners, directories,
initdb etc. for a simple regression test of a couple lines won't hurt
for maybe the first five but after that it starts to get unmaintainable.

Greetings,

Andres Freund