Re: how to show time zone with numerical offset in CSV log? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Zoet
Subject Re: how to show time zone with numerical offset in CSV log?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

>> And how can this automatically be changed if Germany switches from
>> summer time (CEST with +0200) to winter time (CET +0100)?
>
> Well, you could write <+0200>-2<+0100> but I'm not sure I would recommend
> it.  That would result in switching on the DST transition days specified
> in the "posixrules" timezone database file, which by default will be USA
> not European rules.  You could replace the posixrules file with some
> suitable European zone file, but that would be more invasive than you
> might want (especially if the zone database is shared with non-Postgres
> applications); and even if that's OK, it's practically certain you'd
> forget to re-fix it after some future software update overwrites the zone
> files.

Yes and that's why I would like to avoid messing around with the setup
to much.

> The best compromise might be to just use <+0000>+0, ie force it to
> print in GMT always.

That's it! Having everything in numeric UTC +0000 seems the easiest
solution. With that I shouldn't have any parsing problems with
Logstash. So I do not need to think about the offset. Great and
obvious :-).

Michael