Re: Very puzzling sort behavior - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Very puzzling sort behavior
Date
List pgsql-general
Ken Tanzer wrote:

> Are there any other potential solutions, pitfalls or considerations that
> come to mind?  Any thoughts welcome.  And as I said, if there's not a good
> way to do this I'll probably leave it alone.

In part, it boils down to what you use the in ORDER BY clause.  If you
concatenate the last name and first name, they will be considered as a
single string and run afoul of funny behavior of dictionary sorting,
which ignores non-alphanumeric chars in the first pass.  But if you keep
them separate by using "ORDER BY last_name, first_name" then sorting
will consider the last name separately from first name, and you'd get
the results you want (I think).