Re: log_statement = 'mod' does not log all data modifying statements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: log_statement = 'mod' does not log all data modifying statements
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 01:54:30PM -0500, Jack Christensen wrote:
> > I was recently surprised by changes that were not logged by
> > log_statement = 'mod'. After changing log_statement to 'all', I
> > found that the changes were occurring in a writable CTE.
> >
> > Is there a way to log all statements that update data?
>
> Not really.  Is this something we should document better?

pg_audit handles this (it is one of the specific goals of that project,
in fact) and the case where modifications are done inside of DO blocks
and PL code.  Further, it provides a great deal of additional
flexibility.

What we need here is better logging/auditing capabilities in core.
Improving the documentation for the back-branches is good but doesn't
address this use-case.  It's unfortunate that we don't have a better
answer at this time.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment