Re: Separating Buffer LWlocks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Separating Buffer LWlocks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-09-08 14:15:32 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> We could do that, but I'm not sure just calling LWLockNewTrancheId()
> for all of the tranches would be so bad either.

To me that seems either fragile or annoying to use. If all backends call
LWLockNewTrancheId() we need to a be sure the callbacks are always going
to be called in the same order. Otherwise everyone needs to store the
tranche in shared memory (like xlog.c now does) which I find to be a
rather annoying requirement.

Greetings,

Andres Freund