Re: Separating Buffer LWlocks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Separating Buffer LWlocks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-09-08 13:29:28 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I like this approach, though I think clearly it needs more performance testing.

Yea, obviously. I did run this on a slightly bigger machine yesterday
and it gave consistent ~8% performance improvements.

> The method of determining the tranche IDs is totally awful, though.  I
> assume that's just a dirty hack for the POC and not something you'd
> seriously consider doing.

If you're referring to assigning fixed ids in the guts of lwlocks.c -
yea, that was really more of a quick hack. I think we should put a enum
into lwlock.h with fixed tranch ids with the final member being
LWTRANCHE_FIRST_DYNAMIC or so.

Greetings,

Andres Freund