Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> One lesson from XL we got is that we need testing framework for cluster,
>> so any cluster project should at least pass functional and performance
>> testing.
>>

> +1. In early XC days, we focused a lot on adding newer features and
> supporting as many PG features as possible. That took its toll on the
> testing and QA. It was a mistake though my feeling was we tried to correct
> that to some extend with XL. We did a 9.5 merge, which of course was a big
> deal, but other than more time is being spent on improving stability and
> performance

Agreed. Any cluster project needs a cluster testing framework.

pgpool-II project runs "build farm" which runs cluster regression
tests every day. The tests includes several versions of pgpool-II and
PostgreSQL combinations using docker. Still it needs more tests but
even with limited test cases, it is pretty usefull to detect bugs.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan