Re: pg_upgrade + Extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade + Extensions
Date
Re: pg_upgrade + Extensions  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 07:28:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >>The problem is that this is a rare case where you had an extension that
> >>was later included in Postgres.
> >Maybe not so rare. Thanks to Andrew, we’ve had to do this for both 9.2-9.3 (json_object) and 9.3-9.4 (json_build).
> >

> Yeah, a lot of people don't like to wait for new stuff. :-)

It might make the most sense to mention this method in the release notes
of the extension.  However, I assume they are not using the extension in
the new server so their is no release to look at.

Still, I don't know how many people are doing this, but the right fix is
to get the names of the modules that are superceeded and tell pg_upgrade
to skip them.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +