Re: 9.4 broken on alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Michael Cree 2015-08-26 <20150826052530.GA4256@tower>
> I reported the failure to build on Alpha, with an explanation and a
> patch to fix it, to the Debian package maintainers over a year ago,
> and within about of a month of version 9.4 being uploaded to Debian.
>
> My recollection is that prior versions (9.2 and 9.3) compiled on
> Alpha so the use of the wrong barrier, and the fix, was in fact
> reported in a timely fashion following the first reasonable chance to
> observe the problem.
>
> It has been built and running at Debian-Ports for over a year now as
> I uploaded the fixed version to the Alpha unreleased distribution.

Hi Michael,

(I've discovered this branch of this thread only now, I got removed
from CC.)

Sorry for letting that rot for so long - I'd blame the Debian
infrastructure for not showing ports information in the usual places.
I've really only discovered the problem because buildd.debian.org is
now showing the non-main architectures as well. (Of course we could
just have looked at the bug report...) I guess we should look into
making that even more visible. Is there a list of packages that have
ports-only patches applied which we could use to make maintainers
aware via ddpo/pts/tracker? Having a porter box available would help
as well.

> > It'd be easy enough to s/rmb/mb/ in 9.4 ... but not sure it's worth
> > the trouble, since we're desupporting Alpha as of 9.5 anyway.
>
> That is disappointing to hear.  Why is that?  It is still in use on
> Alpha.  What is the maintenance load for keeping the Alpha arch
> specific code?

Fwiw I'd be curious to see if 9.5 still works using the generic
primitives, but atm it's blocking on perl5.20:

Dependency installability problem for postgresql-9.5 on alpha:

postgresql-9.5 build-depends on:
- alpha:libipc-run-perl
alpha:libipc-run-perl depends on:
- alpha:libio-pty-perl
alpha:libio-pty-perl depends on missing:
- alpha:perlapi-5.20.0

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/