Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-08-27 11:12:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> > Candidate for Appendix K?
>
> Meh ... it's not a user-visible notation, in fact it only appears in
> rewriteHandler.c AFAICS.

Agreed, I don't think we want to distribute that term any wider than
that file.

> I think an explanation in fireRIRrules' header comment would be fine.

I was thinking of adding it to the file's header like* NOTES*      Some of the terms used in this file are of historic
nature:"retrieve"*      was the PostQUEL keyword for what today is SELECT. "RIR" stands for*
"Retrieve-Instead-Retrieve",that is an ON SELECT INSTEAD rule (which*      has to be unconditional and where only one
rulecan exist on each*      relation).

since both retrieve and RIR are used in a bunch of places.

Andres