Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers

+------+-----------------+-----------------+---------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+

+------+-----------------+-----------------+---------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+

+------+-----------------+-----------------+---------+--------+------------------------------------------------------+

> It's only been stuck an hour so it's possible it's still running but
> this morning it was the same query that was running for 7 hours so I'm
> guessing not.

Interesting.

> Unfortunately I appear to have built without debugging symbols so
> it'll be a couple days before I can rebuild with symbols to get a back
> trace. (I vaguely remember when builds took hours but I don't recall
> ever having to wait 48 hours for a build even back then)

Without any further clues I'd guess it's stuck somewhere in
bipartite_match.c. That's the only place where floating point problmes
would possibly result in getting stuck.

I'm all for making sure these issues are indeed caused by platform
specific float oddities, and not a more fundamental problem. But to me
the state of this port, as evidenced in this thread, seems to be too bad
to be worthwhile keeping alive. Especially since there's really no
imaginable use case except for playing around.

Greetings,

Andres Freund