Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ''Victor Wagner *EXTERN*' *EXTERN*' *EXTERN*
Subject Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015.08.19 at 15:35:17 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I think we do need some way of saying that a readonly connection is OK. So

I had such thing in my propsal (boolean parameter readonly).
But haven't yet checked if it is compatible with jdbc syntax.

> the default would be to connect to each in turn until we find the master.
> It should keep retrying for a period of time since for a short period it is
> possible there is no master. If you specify readonly, then a connection to

It is very important addition  - to specify that if no host is able to
establish read-write session, we should retry and give a chance for
sever administration to promote one of standbys to master. Probably
there should be additional timeout parameter (we have
connection_timeout, and this would be failover_timeout) with some
reasonaable default.