Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug  9, 2015 at 01:24:33AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:

> On 7 August 2015 at 14:24, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 09:00:44PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
>     > * 2014-12-08 [519b075] Simon ..: Use GetSystemTimeAsFileTime directly in
>     win32
>     >   2014-12-08 [8001fe6] Simon ..: Windows: use
>     GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime if ..
>     >   Timer resolution isn't a unimportant thing for people using explain?
>
>     This all seemed very internals-only, e.g.:
>
>         On most Windows systems this change will actually have no significant
>     effect on
>         timestamp resolution as the system timer tick is typically between 1ms
>     and 15ms
>         depending on what timer resolution currently running applications have
>         requested. You can check this with clockres.exe from sysinternals.
>     Despite the
>         platform limiation this change still permits capture of finer
>     timestamps where
>         the system is capable of producing them and it gets rid of an
>     unnecessary
>         syscall.
>
>     Was I wrong?
>

> This does have a user visible change. Timestamps are now likely to have 6
> digits after the decimal point, if they're on a version of windows which
> supports GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime();
>
> Master:
>
> postgres=# select now();
>               now
> -------------------------------
>  2015-08-09 01:14:01.959645+12
> (1 row)
>
> 9.4.4
> postgres=# select now();
>             now
>  2015-08-09 01:15:09.783+12
> (1 row)

Yes, this was already in the release notes:
       Allow higher-precision timestamp resolution on <systemitem       class="osname">Windows 8</> or <systemitem
class="osname">Windows      Server 2012</> and later Windows systems (Craig Ringer)

I am not sure why people were saying it was missing.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +