Re: 9.5 make world failing due to sgml tools missing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.5 make world failing due to sgml tools missing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/17/15 3:35 PM, Keith Fiske wrote:
> > The current HEAD of postgres in the git repo is not building when using
> > "make world". It's been like this for about a month or so that I've been
> > aware of. I didn't really need the world build so been making due
> > without it. At PGCon now, though, so asked Bruce and he said this error
> > was due to my not having the sgml tools installed, which should not be a
> > requirement.
>
> make world has always required documentation build tools.

Also,
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1399429219.5361.10.camel@vanquo.pezone.net

I'm of two minds about this.  I wonder if there's a sensible way to have
things not fail when xmllint is not installed but the documentation
hasn't been patched.  Maybe $(missing) wasn't the right thing to use in
all these targets -- perhaps we could spare the hard error for some
users.

What "make world" does is call "make all" in doc/src/sgml, and that in
turn depends on html and man.  As far as I can see, only man-stamp fails
if xmllint is not present.  Can we just skip the xmllint step if xmllint
not present in that rule, and that rule only?

To replace that, we could have "make check" in docs do the xmllint run
(that's where we have the check-tabs rule also).