Re: Need Multixact Freezing Docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Need Multixact Freezing Docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > You can see the current multixact value in pg_controldata output.  Keep
> > timestamped values of that somewhere (a table?) so that you can measure
> > consumption rate.  I don't think we provide SQL-level access to those
> > values.
>
> Bleh.  Do we provide SQL-level access in 9.4?  If not, I think that's a
> requirement before release.  Telling users to monitor a setting using a
> restricted-permission command-line utility which produces a
> version-specific text file they have to parse is not going to win us a
> lot of fans.

I found that I had written a very quick accessor function to multixact
shared state data awhile ago.  This might be useful for monitoring
purposes.  What do people think of including this for 9.5?  It needs a
small change to add the newly added oldestOffset (plus a little cleanup
and docs).

Attachment