Re: pg_upgrade cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade cleanup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 02:49:08PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 12:21:12PM -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, I should have mentioned I applied this patch to head.  It isn't
> > > significant enough to backpatch.
> >
> > A float8_pass_by_value match is unnecessary, and requiring it creates needless
> > hassle for users.  Switching between USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL binaries and
> > !USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL binaries requires an initdb to get different values in
> > pg_type.typbyval and pg_attribute.attbyval.  pg_upgrade's use of pg_dump to
> > migrate catalog content addresses that fine.  Note that
> > check_for_isn_and_int8_passing_mismatch() exists because pg_upgrade has
> > allowed source and destination clusters to differ in USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL.
>
> What we had was checking for float8_pass_by_value, but did nothing with
> it, so I assumed we had lost the check somehow.  I will remove detecting
> and checking of that value.  Thanks.

Sorry, I mean we didn't do anything with it in controldata.c, but I had
forgotten how we use it for isn, so I just added a C comment that there
is no need to check that it matches.  Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +