Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-05-10 21:53:45 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Please name EVEN ONE instance in which core development has been
> prevented for fear of changing a function API.

Even *moving* function declarations to a different file has been laudly
and repeatedly complained about... And there's definitely some things
around that pretty much only still exist because changing them would
break too much stuff.

But.

I don't think that's a reason to not expose more functions
externally. Because the usual consequence of not exposing them is that
either ugly workarounds will be found, or code will just copy pasted
around. That's not in any way better, and much likely to be worse.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't use judgement, but I do think that the
current approach ridicules our vaunted extensibility in many cases.

Greetings,

Andres Freund