Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option
Date
Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option  (Volker Aßmann <volker.assmann@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:

> I frankly find that a bit difficult to swallow.  You think that
> everyone knows that bad passwords are a problem, but some people might
> not realize that an authentication method called "trust" might not be
> secure?

Ultimately, what we offer to users is choice of a few options.  Should
we only offer options that we consider to be completely secure, and no
others?  If we were to follow that principle, we would completely
disable non-SSL builds, and all auth methods other than, I dunno, GSSAPI
and such.  But we don't do that, because we trust that users will use
whatever is most appropriate for them.  I see this patch is, in a way, a
mechanism to let system administrators choose at compile time what
options are available to DBAs at setup time.  This seems a reasonable
thing to me.

I don't necessarily agree with the patch as proposed.  I would rather
have a comma-separated list of methods, as in:
   --disable-auth=ident,peer

which lets you choose what to disable without hardcoded choices.  Due to
the nature of autoconf, this might be too fiddly to implement, though,
and if so I think the method proposed by this patch seems a reasonable
compromise.  I've seen configure in other programs offer options such as
--disable-foo=list that lists acceptable values (or --disable-foo=help)