Re: anole - test case sha2 fails on all branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: anole - test case sha2 fails on all branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Given that anole is the only one reporting this, I'm not sure that we
> > should immediately blame Postgres itself.  I have a vague recollection
> > that we've seen this symptom before and traced it to a bug in some
> > supporting library.  Is anole using any particularly out-of-date versions
> > of openssl, kerberos, etc?
>
> A bit of digging in the archives suggests that my hindbrain remembered this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/4F5A8404.8020708@dunslane.net
>
> The specifics probably don't apply to anole, but the conclusion that
> inconsistent openssl header and library files triggered the bug might.

A library problem is plausible.  anole builds without OpenSSL, and I have no
guess for which remaining library could be at fault.  I could not reproduce
this in an HP-UX IA-64 build configured as follows (no HP compiler available): ./configure --enable-debug
--enable-cassert--enable-depend --without-readline --without-zlib CC='gcc -pthread -mlp64'

Sandeep, I suggest trying a build at commit 36e5247, the last REL9_4_STABLE
commit known good on anole.  If that build fails, you'll know there's an
environmental problem, like a broken dependency library.  If that build
succeeds, please use "git bisect" to find which commit broke things, and
report the commit hash here.

Thanks,
nm