Re: BUG #12910: Memory leak with logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #12910: Memory leak with logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2015-04-22 18:49:18 +0300, Peter Slavov wrote:
> Sorry for the late answer - I got mixed up with the wrong Postgres version
> and waste time testing on code that is not pached.
> I did testing after that on the patched version and basically I don't see
> difference when I use simple sql statement like before. Psql is putting all
> in RAM/swap before dumping it out ( the size is again ~15-16 GB - no change
> there).

That's a different problem though. Generally psql will, unless you
configure it to use cursors, pull in the whole query in memory.

I thought earlier it wasn't just psql that needed all that memory?

> I tried with copy - much better memory footprint of course.

COPY *did* show the problem for me without the patch.

> I guess I will have to forget using the SQL interface. I will try using
> pg_recvlogical or some other way to connect my python script to the slot
> using the streaming protocol .. thanks

That's a good way independently.

Greetings,

Andres Freund