Re: src/port/getopt_long.c lossy with arguments having no option characters - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: src/port/getopt_long.c lossy with arguments having no option characters
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 4/3/15 10:08 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
> >> The implementation of getopt_long in src/port has some limitations,
> >> for example such commands do not work but they should:
> >
> > No, those should not work.  You're too used to versions that don't insist
> > on switches-before-non-switch-arguments.  Such behavior is an extension
> > that is not standard,
>
> It is true that options after non-option arguments are a GNU extension,
> but long options are also a GNU extension.  So the behavior we provide
> is neither pure POSIX nor pure GNU.  I can see how that would be confusing.

The thing I hate the most about this issue is how some commands fail
with "--help: unrecognized option" or some such, when called as

command --foo=bar --baz --help

I am used to such calls to emit the help, then exit, and the command is
kept in history; that way, it's easy to adjust for the info found in the
help and edit later.  As is, I tend to esc-# to save the commented-out
command in history, then call with only --help, then recall the
commented-out version.