Re: Autovacuum query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Autovacuum query
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 03:58:59 +0000
Mitu Verma <mitu.verma@ericsson.com> wrote:

> We have a customer complaining about the time taken by one of the application scripts while deleting older data from
thelog tables.
> During the deletion, customer reported that he often sees the below error and because of which table size doesn?t
reduce.

> ERROR: canceling autovacuum task
> Date: 2015-03-14 04:29:19
> Context: automatic analyze of table "fm_db_Server3.mmsuper.audittraillogentry"
>
> We have the following queries in this regard:
>
> -          How often is the autovacuum task invoked by postgres

As needed. Read:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/routine-vacuuming.html

> -          If the task gets cancelled (while we were deleting data from the database) would this task be re-invoked
ata later time?

Yes. Read the above

> -          If insertion of data into a table also impact this task?

No. Vacuum operations are not triggered by INSERTs.

> -          If we can manually schedule this task to a particular time (like off peak hours)?

Yes, but given the questions you're asking, you probably do not
have a good enough understanding of the situation to schedule it
correctly and will make the problem worse. You can run it manually
any time you want, but I don't recommend that you disable
autovacuum unless you have a good understanding of what you're
doing.

Let me take a guess at the problem: The table gets LOTs of inserts,
constantly, and somewhere there's a job that runs out of cron or
some similar scheduler that DELETEs a lot of those rows in a big
chunk. The DELETE process probably runs infrequently, like once
a day or even once a week because the designers thought it would
be best to get everything taken care of all at once during some
real or perceived slow period on the database.

One solution to this is to run the DELETE process more frequently,
such as every 15 minutes. In such a case, the process will run
much faster, make less changes, and require less work on the part
of autovacuum to clean up after. People frequently complain that
"this will impact performance if run during normal use hours,"
but in every case I've seen, nobody had actually tested to see
if that statement was true, and running smaller purges more
frequently actually solved the problem.

Another option would be to manually run vacuum after the big
DELETE runs.
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-vacuum.html

Don't fall into the trap of running VACUUM FULL. This is usually
a bad idea. If the client is complaining about reclaiming disk
space, start asking some hard questions: How much space is too
much? Why are you convinced that the space is wasted?
Usually the correct answer is to add more disk space, since
Postgres tends to fall into a groove with a particular table
whereby the "unused" space is actually being used and reclaimed
by data tuples as the data in the table changes. It's not
unusal for the table to be 2x the size of the actual data on
a heavily updated table.

--
Bill Moran