recovery_target_action doesn't work for anything but shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject recovery_target_action doesn't work for anything but shutdown
Date
Re: recovery_target_action = pause & hot_standby = off
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Unless I'm missing something recovery_target_action = promote/pause
don't work.

There's the following block of code in readRecoveryCommandFile():/* * Override any inconsistent requests. Not that this
isa change * of behaviour in 9.5; prior to this we simply ignored a request * to pause if hot_standby = off, which was
surprisingbehaviour. */if (recoveryTargetAction == RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_PAUSE &&    recoveryTargetActionSet &&
standbyState== STANDBY_DISABLED)    recoveryTargetAction = RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_SHUTDOWN;

the problem is that when the recovery command file is read standbyState
will always still be STANDBY_DISABLED. Which makes sense, because we
can't even know we're in recovery before readRecoveryCommandFile().

I guess what you actually intended to test was StandbyModeRequested?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services