Re: VACUUM FULL doesn't reduce table size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: VACUUM FULL doesn't reduce table size
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 09:05:07 -0700 (MST)
pinker <pinker@onet.eu> wrote:

> > So there are no longer any dead rows being left behind, right?
> >
> > Why are we still discussing this?  Do you have some other question?
>
> There are no dead rows, but postgres still cannot reuse the space because of
> 3043947 nonremovable row versions ..
>
> INFO:  vacuuming "my_table"
> INFO:  "my_table": found 0 removable, 3043947 nonremovable row versions in
> 37580 pages
> DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
> CPU 2.67s/1.59u sec elapsed 7.71 sec.
> Query returned successfully with no result in 8319 ms.

Given your weird description of the "snapshot" I wouldn't be surprised if
that instance of PostgreSQL had subtle corruption.

pg_dump that database, re-init it and reload the dump. Then recreate the
situation and see if the rows are sill nonremovable. I bet you $5.34 that
everything works fine after that, which would indicate that the folks
who made the snapshot didn't do it correctly.

--
Bill Moran