BUG #12843: pg_dump -O inserts four unwanted lines to the end of the dump - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From mage@mage.li
Subject BUG #12843: pg_dump -O inserts four unwanted lines to the end of the dump
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      12843
Logged by:          Péter Mózes Merl
Email address:      mage@mage.li
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.0
Operating system:   Any

It affects many versions.

The manual says about -O:

"To make a script that can be restored by any user, but will give that user
ownership of all the objects, specify -O."

This actually does not work because there are four lines inserted at the end
of the dump:

REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA public FROM PUBLIC;
REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA public FROM postgres;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO postgres;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO PUBLIC;

The problem is that the source and the target system might have different
users. Usually they do when we deploy Rails.

Not to forget that Linux distributions have different default user than the
one created in FreeBSD (postgres vs pgsql).

To load the dump by another user these four lines have to be removed. Which
is painful when the dump is large. It is needed more often than not.

I suggest simply not inserting them when -O is set.

Thank you.