Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:39:34AM -0700, wambacher wrote:

> some comments:
>
> - the OOM did not kill the Postmaster but the Analyze-Job.
> - started with 24GB real and 18GB Swap - that must be enought! --> killed

"Back in the days" it was conventional wisdom to have twice
as much swap as you've got physical memory. Of course, I am
not suggesting you provide 48GB of swap and your problem is
magically solved _but_ one thing we might take away from that
old adage is that one might "hope things to work better"
(say, while debugging) if there is at least as much swap as
there is physical RAM based on the naive assumption that in
this case '"everything" can be swapped out'.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346