Re: Merge compact/non compact commits, make aborts dynamically sized - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Merge compact/non compact commits, make aborts dynamically sized
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-02-27 16:26:08 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, that's ugly. Why does frontend code need that? The old format
> >> isn't exactly trivial for frontend code to decode either.
> >
> > pg_xlogdump outputs subxacts and such; I don't forsee other
> > usages. Sure, we could copy the code around, but I think that's worse
> > than having it in xactdesc.c. Needs a comment explaining why it's there
> > if I haven't added one already.
>
> FWIW, I think they would live better in frontend code for client applications.

What do you mean with that? You mean you'd rather see a copy in
pg_xlogdump somewhere? How would you trigger that being used instead of
the normal description routine?

> +/* free opcode 0x70 */
> +
> +#define XLOG_XACT_OPMASK                       0x70
> There is a contradiction here, 0x70 is not free.

The above is a mask, not an opcode - so I don't think it's a
contraction. I'll expand on the commentary on the next version.

Thanks for having a look!

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services