Re: POLA violation with \c service= - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: POLA violation with \c service=
Date
Re: POLA violation with \c service=  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: POLA violation with \c service=  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:

> My thinking behind this was that the patch is a bug fix and intended
> to be back-patched, so I wanted to mess with as little infrastructure
> as possible.  A new version of libpq seems like a very big ask for
> such a case.  You'll recall that the original problem was that
>
>     \c service=foo
>
> only worked accidentally for some pretty narrow use cases and broke
> without much of a clue for the rest.  It turned out that the general
> problem was that options given to psql on the command line were not
> even remotely equivalent to \c, even though they were documented to
> be.

So, in view of these arguments and those put forward by Pavel
downthread, I think the attached is an acceptable patch for the master
branch.  It doesn't apply to back branches though; 9.4 and 9.3 have a
conflict in tab-complete.c, 9.2 has additional conflicts in command.c,
and 9.1 and 9.0 are problematic all over because they don't have
src/common.  Could you please submit patches adapted for each group of
branches?