Re: Turn on git pack bitmaps? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Turn on git pack bitmaps?
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2015-02-21 13:34:06 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
> > wrote:
> >> It'll stay enabled/in effect for the future. But it'd be a good idea to
> >> regularly schedule a repack independent of bitmaps - or enable automatic
> >> gc's on push (not sure which version made that available). Right now
> >> git.pg.o's postgresql.git is ~40MB bigger than my local one...
>
> > Well, it does them now and then, IIRC? We haven't set up a cronjob for it,
> > but I'm fairly certain I've gotten stuck with it doing GC during a commit
> > someitme...

Those don't have the same effect as a full repack though, as they only
pack recently created objects into a new pack file and occasionally
collapse pack files. Doing a full repack, with more aggressive settings,
can considerably shrink the repository.

> Yeah, I got one just a couple of minutes ago.
>
> There was a noticeable delay after the "auto packing" message.

That's gone in a newer git btw, it moves that automatically into the
background.

> mind this happening once in awhile, but I don't see a need to do it
> on every commit; please let's not have auto-gc-on-commit.

Yea, doing it on every commit wouldn't make any sense.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services