Idea for a secondary list server - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Idea for a secondary list server
Date
Re: Idea for a secondary list server  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-www
WWW,

Because of the difficulty in deleting lists, and because of the
administrative overhead per list, the admins have to be fairly
restrictive about adding lists to the @postgresql.org majordomo server.

On occasion, this has resulted in very discouraging conversations with
new PUG chapter organizers and other folks wanting to do something new
which requires a list on a speculative basis.  Also, this has resulted
in several lists for active and popular PostgreSQL tools continuing to
run on pgfoundry.org, despite its deprecation. And unlike source code
repositories and web hosting, free, independant list hosting is not
generally available on the web*.

As such, I propose that we ask OSL** to host a mailman instance for us.This is something they regularly do, and I've
spokenwith Lance

Anderson about it.  Since we would be using more resources than most
projects, we would make an annual donation to the OSL from one of our
foundations, or maybe from a project sponsor.  This would then run on
some approprate postgresql.org subdomain.

This would get us a secondary list server where we could create lists
with fewer restrictions than our main listserv, without needing to add
to the workload of the sysadmins or give untrusted people admin
credentials.  User support for this listserv could even be done by folks
not in the current sysadmin pool (like me).

Good/bad/questions?

(* Yahoo and Google do have Groups stuff, but both come with
restrictions and spam which make them unsuitable for project lists)

(** Open Source Labs, a nonprofit hosting center of Oregon State University)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.