Re: sloppy back-patching of column-privilege leak - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: sloppy back-patching of column-privilege leak
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> FWIW using different commit messages for different branches is a
> mistake.  The implicit policy we have is that there is one message,
> identical for all branches, that describe how the patch differs in each
> branch whenever necessary.  Note that the git_changelog output that
> Robert pasted is not verbatim from the tool; what it actually prints is
> three separate entries, one for each different message you used, which
> is not what is supposed to occur.

Ok, thanks.  That's certainly easy enough to do and I'll do so in the
future.  I could have sworn I'd seen cases where further clarification
was done for branch-specific commits but perhaps something else was
different there.

> I say this policy is implicit because I don't recall it being spelled
> out anywhere, but since it's embodied in git_changelog's working
> principle it's important we stick to it.

I have to admit that I've never really used git_changelog.
Thanks!
    Stephen