Re: Escaping from blocked send() reprised. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Escaping from blocked send() reprised.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-10-03 16:26:35 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-10-03 17:12:18 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > >0002 now makes sense on its own and doesn't change anything around the
> > >      interrupt handling. Oh, and it compiles without 0003.
> >
> > WaitLatchOrSocket() can throw an error, so it's not totally safe to call
> > that underneath OpenSSL.
>
> Hm. Fair point.

I think we should fix this by simply prohibiting
WaitLatch/WaitLatchOrSocket from ERRORing out. The easiest, and imo
acceptable, thing is to simply convert the relevant ERRORs to FATAL. I
think that'd be perfectly fine as it seems very unlikely that we
continue sanely afterwards.

It would really be nice if we had a simple way to raise a FATAL that
won't go to the client for situations like this. I'd proposed
elog(FATAL | COMERROR, ...) in the past...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services