Re: Hostnames, IDNs, Punycode and Unicode Case Folding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Cardwell
Subject Re: Hostnames, IDNs, Punycode and Unicode Case Folding
Date
List pgsql-general
* on the Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 05:01:44PM -0700, David G Johnston wrote:

>> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX hostnames_hostname_key ON hostnames
>> (lower(punycode_encode(hostname)));
>>
>> That would prevent adding more than one representation for the same
>> hostname
>> to the column.
>
> Except two different hostname can resolve to the same
> punycode_encode(hostname) value

That's exactly what I'm taking advantage of...

> so the unique index won't work.

I think you misunderstand what I'm suggesing. I'm suggesting storing the
unicode version in the database, and then creating a unique index on the
result of the punycode function to prevent more than one representation
of the same hostname being inserted.

> It was also mentioned that using the Perl encoding function was
> non-performant; which is why caching the data into a memoization table has
> value.

It was non-performant because it involved unnecessarily starting a Perl
interpreter. Not because the algorithm its self is slow.

> WHERE lower(punycode_encode(hostname)) =
> > lower(punycode_encode('any-representation'))
> >

> I'm not for knowing the rules of punycode but I'm not seeing what value
> lower() provides here...

Case insensitive matching. So that "EXAMPLE.COM" = "example.com"

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F

Attachment