Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes
Date
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Again, I suppose I should have objected earlier, but I really seriously
> doubt that this is a good idea.

Ugh.  I thought we had a consensus that this was the accepted way
forward; that's my reading of the old thread,

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net#20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net

Breaking clients was considered acceptable, which is why some of these
functions were introduced.  There were some differing opinions; Simon
for instance suggested the use of an array rather than a bitmask, but
that would have broken clients all the same.

If there's strong opposition to this whole line of development, I can
revert.  Anyone else wants to give an opinion?