Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"
Date
Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2014-12-21 14:18:33 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > While the feature itself might be fairly innocuous, I'm just wondering
> > why we need to encourage manual vacuuming.  And why that, but not
> > say schema-wide ANALYZE, CLUSTER, TRUNCATE, ...
>
> There's one argument for supporting more for VACUUM than the rest - it
> can't be executed directly as the result of a query as the others
> can... I wonder if that'd not better be answered by adding a feature to
> vacuumdb that allows selecting the to-be-vacuumed table by a user
> defined query.

Wow.  That's certainly an interesting idea.

We might end up turning the autovacuum process into a generalized
scheduler/cron-like entity that way though.  I'd rather we just build
that.  Users would then be able to run a script periodically which
would add VACUUM commands to be run on whichever tables they want to
the jobs queue, either for immediate execution or at whatever time they
want (or possibly chronically :).
Thanks!
    Stephen