Re: Review of GetUserId() Usage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Review of GetUserId() Usage
Date
Re: Review of GetUserId() Usage  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> > > 3. It messes around with pg_signal_backend().  There are currently no
> > > cases in which pg_signal_backend() throws an error, which is good,
> > > because it lets you write queries against pg_stat_activity() that
> > > don't fail halfway through, even if you are missing permissions on
> > > some things.  This patch introduces such a case, which is bad.
> >
> > Good point, I'll move that check up into the other functions, which will
> > allow for a more descriptive error as well.
>
> Err, I'm missing something here, as pg_signal_backend() is a misc.c
> static internal function?  How would you be calling it from a query
> against pg_stat_activity()?
>
> I'm fine making the change anyway, just curious..

Updated patch attached which move the ereport() out of
pg_signal_backend() and into its callers, as the other permissions
checks are done, and includes the documentation changes.  The error
messages are minimally changed to match the new behvaior.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment