Re: How about a option to disable autovacuum cancellation on lock conflict? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: How about a option to disable autovacuum cancellation on lock conflict?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-12-02 11:23:31 -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I think it would be more promising to work on downgrading lock strengths so
> that fewer things conflict, and it would be not much more work than what
> you propose.

I think you *massively* underestimate the effort required to to lower
lock levels. There's some very ugly corners you have to think about to
do so. Just look at how long it took to implement the lock level
reductions for ALTER TABLE - and those were the simpler cases.

> What operations are people doing on a regular basis that take locks
> which cancel vacuum?  create index?

Locking tables against modifications in this case.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services