Re: no test programs in contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: no test programs in contrib
Date
Re: no test programs in contrib  (Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com>)
Re: no test programs in contrib  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: no test programs in contrib  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Here's a patch.  This creates a new subdir src/test/modules and places
the five initially proposed modules in there.  They continue to have
their makefile with the same ifdef USE_PGXS pattern; they are no longer
installed by default.

Because many of them had either "test" in their names or some other
now-useless particle, I renamed them:

worker_spi    ->     bgworker
test_decoding    ->    logical_decoding
dummy_seclabel    ->    seclabel
test_shm_mq    ->    shm_mq
test_parser    ->    tsparser

The renaming is not complete: the extensions continue to have the old
names, for instance.  If the consensus is to rename them completely I
can finish that, or we can decide to keep the original names, but they
all seem inappropriate to me.

I haven't done anything about documentation.  I thought a new chapter
after "Additional Supplied Modules", perhaps entitled "Additional Sample
Modules" would be appropriate.

I tweaked make targets check, installcheck, installcheck-world,
check-world: they all run the additional tests now.  For buildfarm, the
client code will need to be updated to have a new stage for
src/test/modules running "make check".

I haven't touched MSVC yet.

Opinions on this approach please?