Re: tracking commit timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 25/11/14 16:23, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >Robert Haas wrote:

> >>Maybe 0 should get translated to a NULL return, instead of a bogus timestamp.
> >
> >That's one idea --- surely no transaction is going to commit at 00:00:00
> >on 2000-01-01 anymore.  Yet this is somewhat discomforting.
>
> I solved it for xids that are out of range by returning -infinity and then
> changing that to NULL in sql interface, but no idea how to do that for
> aborted transactions.

I guess the idea is that we just read the value from the slru and if it
exactly matches allballs we do the same -infinity return and translation
to NULL.  (Do we really love this -infinity idea?  If it's just an
internal API we can use a boolean instead.)