Re: postgresql.auto.conf comments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf comments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps the parser could automatically remove any comment blocks which are
> > followed by a blank/empty line.
>
> Well, if we can agree on something, it doesn't bother me any.  I'm
> just saying we spent years arguing about it, because we couldn't agree
> on anything.

I'm mystified by this whole discussion.

For my 2c (and, yes, it's far too late to change most likely, but too
bad) is that the entirety of postgresql.auto.conf should be generated,
and generated with the catalog as the canonical source.  No one should
ever be modifying it directly and if they do then we act just as badly
as if they go hand-modifying heap files and screw it up.

We shouldn't have ever allowed postgresql.auto.conf to be the canonical
source of anything.  We didn't do that with pg_shadow back when we
required that and I don't see any good reason to that now.
Thanks,
    Stephen