Re: Idle transaction cancel/timeout and SSL revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Idle transaction cancel/timeout and SSL revisited
Date
Re: Idle transaction cancel/timeout and SSL revisited  (Alex Shulgin <ash@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2014-11-15 00:11:36 +0300, Alex Shulgin wrote:
> After reading up through archives on the two $subj related TODO items
> I'm under impression that the patches[1,2] didn't make it mainly because
> of the risk of breaking SSL internals if we try to longjump out of the
> signal handler in the middle of a blocking SSL read and/or if we try to
> report that final "transaction/connection aborted" notice to the client.

I've written a patch that allows that - check
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20140927225421.GE5423%40alap3.anarazel.de

I feel pretty confident that that's the way to go. I just need some time
to polish it.

> What if instead of trying to escape from the signal handler we would set
> a flag and use it to simulate EOF after the recv() is restarted due to
> EINTR?  From the backend perspective it should look like the client has
> just hang up.

That's pretty much what the above does. Except that it actually deals
with blocking syscalls by not using them and relying on latches/select
instead.

Greetings,

Andres Freund