Re: BUG #11883: Year 1500 not treated as leap year when it was a leap year - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Hunsaker
Subject Re: BUG #11883: Year 1500 not treated as leap year when it was a leap year
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 07 Nov 14 02 02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Nov  6, 2014 at 07:29:49AM -0700, Bruce Hunsaker wrote:
> > > I have applied the attached C comment to document why we use the
> > > Gregorian calendar for pre-1582 years.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for the response. I guess the bottom line for us
> > is that if we want to store dates before 1582, we may not want
> > to use date or timestamp columns for that data, particularly if
> > the dates are from a Julian calendar.
>
> Yeah, the big problem is that there is no way to store leap days for
> years like 1500.  The only good part is that the Gregorian calendar is
> very good at keeping the calendar aligned with the seasons.

Just to add some additional background, We were migrating data from
an Oracle DB when we hit this. Oracle's dates are Julian based
and range from Jan 1, 4712 BCE to Dec 31 9999 CE.  So Feb 29, 1500
is a valid date in an Oracle Date type (Julian day 2268992).  So I
wonder what the rules might be to convert a Julian date to a
'proleptic Gregorian' date (pre 1582) and vice versa?

--
Bruce Hunsaker

 NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privilegedinformation. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intendedrecipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.