Re: Incomplete startup packet help needed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Erdman
Subject Re: Incomplete startup packet help needed
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:40:14 +0100
Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> wrote:

> Hi Juan Antonio:
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM, memtec <juanantonio.izquierdo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You can force this message executing:
> > $ echo | nc SERVER_IP 5432
> > 2014-11-04 21:44:37 CET LOG:  incomplete startup packet
> >

> What do you need help on? PG uses a binary protocol, you sent it bad data
> ( I think this will open connection, send a \n byte, shutdown it ) and it
> complained in the first check ( I suppose it is due to the connection
> expecting an startup packet with a given format, and it couldn't get it
> because it's longer than 1 byte, everything is prety well documented, RTFM
> ).

FYI: It's very common to get these messages in your log file if you have something like nagios or other monitoring
toolschecking to see if postgres is up. This is because many of them just test to see if something is listening on the
port,without opening a proper postgres connection (i.e. telnet localhost 5432). The just connect to the port then
disconnectwithout sending any data of any kind.
--
Jon Erdman (aka StuckMojo)
    PostgreSQL Zealot

Attachment