Re: On partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: On partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-10-27 06:29:33 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Oh, I just meant code progress --- I agree the discussion was fruitful.
> >
> > FWIW, I think Robert's criticism regarding not basing this on inheritance
> > scheme was not responded to.
>
> It was responded to by ignoring it.  I didn't see anybody else
> supporting the idea that inheritance is in any way a sane thing to base
> partitioning on.  Sure, we have accumulated lots of kludges over the
> years to cope with the fact that, really, it doesn't work very well.  So
> what.  We can keep them, I don't care.

As far as I understdood Robert's criticism it was more about the
internals, than about the userland representation. To me it's absolutely
clear that 'real partitioning' userland shouldn't be based on the
current hacks to allow it. But I do think that a first step very well
might reuse the planner/executor smarts about it. Even a good chunk of
the tablecmd.c logic might be reusable for individual partitions without
much change.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services