Re: Directory/File Access Permissions for COPY and Generic File Access Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Directory/File Access Permissions for COPY and Generic File Access Functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:01:28PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > This started out as a request for a non-superuser to be able to review
> > the log files without needing access to the server.  Now, things can
> > certainly be set up on the server to import *all* logs and then grant
> > access to a non-superuser, but generally it's "I need to review the log
> > from X to Y" and not *all* logs need to be stored or kept in PG.
>
> Why is this patch showing up before being discussed?  You are having to
> back into the discusion because of this.

For my part, I didn't actually see it as being a questionable use-case
from the start..  That was obviously incorrect, though I didn't know
that previously.  The general idea has been discussed a couple of times
before, at least as far back as 2005:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/430F78E0.9020206@cs.concordia.ca

It's also a feature available in other databases (at least MySQL and
Oracle, but I'm pretty sure others also).

I can also recall chatting with folks about it a couple of times over
the years at various conferences.  Still, perhaps it would have been
better to post about the idea before the patch, but hindsight is often
20/20.
Thanks!
    Stephen