Re: BUG #11457: The below query crashes 9.3.5, but not 9.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #11457: The below query crashes 9.3.5, but not 9.3.4
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Nelson Page wrote:
> As mentioned in the original title, we cannot reproduce this crash in 9.3.4, but can in 9.3.5.  So our particular
crashdoes not go back to 9.1 (unless the 9.1 you mention is some other context maybe?)

Bug fixes are backpatched to supported branches; 9.3.4 is older than
9.1.14.  9.1.14 does contain the backpatched bug fix which seems to have
introduced the new bug:

commit 555d0b2000e33fd1ad2721015996a66c43bbb3cd
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Thu Jun 26 10:41:10 2014 -0700

    Back-patch "Fix EquivalenceClass processing for nested append relations".

    When we committed a87c729153e372f3731689a7be007bc2b53f1410, we somehow
    failed to notice that it didn't merely improve plan quality for expression
    indexes; there were very closely related cases that failed outright with
    "could not find pathkey item to sort".  The failing cases seem to be those
    where the planner was already capable of selecting a MergeAppend plan,
    and there was inheritance involved: the lack of appropriate eclass child
    members would prevent prepare_sort_from_pathkeys() from succeeding on the
    MergeAppend's child plan nodes for inheritance child tables.

    Accordingly, back-patch into 9.1 through 9.3, along with an extra
    regression test case covering the problem.

    Per trouble report from Michael Glaesemann.