Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Tom Lane 2014-09-23 <15155.1411493559@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> >> Can we have "EXPLAIN (timing off)" in 9.4+ hide the "Planning time"
> >> line? That would even be backwards compatible with 9.x where it would
> >> be a no-op.
>
> > I don't think that'll work becuase:
>
> >         /* check that timing is used with EXPLAIN ANALYZE */
> >         if (es.timing && !es.analyze)
> >                 ereport(ERROR,
> >                                 (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
> >                                  errmsg("EXPLAIN option TIMING
> > requires ANALYZE")));
>
> It looks to me like that would complain about EXPLAIN (TIMING ON),
> not the case Christoph is suggesting.  What he proposes seems a bit
> odd and non-orthogonal, but we could make the code do it if we wanted.

I don't think this warrants a new flag, and TIMING OFF seems to be the
right naming for it. (In fact it was the first I tried, and I was
cursing quite a bit over the lack of configurability until I realized
that COSTS OFF disabled the planning time display as well.) It might
be a bit odd, but it's easy to remember.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/