BUG #11454: plperl apt problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From matthew.vita@fractureme.com
Subject BUG #11454: plperl apt problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      11454
Logged by:          Matthew Vita
Email address:      matthew.vita@fractureme.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.11
Operating system:   deb

Hi PG team!

MV48 from #postgresql Freenode here. I'm trying to install PLPerlu for PG
9.1.11-1 and ran into a strange error on my employer's *nix Debian dev box:

$ apt-get install postgresql-plperl-9.1

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  libatk1.0-dev libcfitsio3-dev libexif-gtk5 libmatio-dev libopenslide-dev
liborc-0.4-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev
libxinerama-dev libxml2-utils libxrandr-dev postgresql-client-9.1
  python-all python-all-dev x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-randr-dev
x11proto-xinerama-dev
  libpq-dev libpq5 libselinux1 postgresql-9.4 postgresql-client-9.4
postgresql-client-common postgresql-common postgresql-contrib
postgresql-contrib-9.4
Suggested packages:
  postgresql-doc-9.4 oidentd ident-server locales-all libdbd-pg-perl
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  postgresql-9.1 postgresql-contrib-9.1
  postgresql-9.4 postgresql-client-9.4 postgresql-contrib-9.4
postgresql-plperl-9.1
  libpq-dev libpq5 libselinux1 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common
postgresql-contrib
6 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 876 not upgraded.
Need to get 5,886 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,669 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I do see that "postgresql-plperl-9.1" is referenced, but I obviously don't
want to remove swap 9.1 for 9.4 (which is beta*** I thought...).

To quote Zr40 from #postgresql Freenode: "Major versions should be able to
be installed side by side, and it should definitely not remove a major
version when upgrading."

***$ apt-cache policy postgresql-9.4

postgresql-9.4:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 9.4~beta2-1
  Version table:
     9.4~beta2-1 0
        990 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages

Thanks for considering this bug. It was brought to my attention that Myon
handles the Debian PG repo stuff, but he wasn't on the IRC.

Best,
Matthew Vita (MV48)