Re: BUG #11335: an invalid prepare statement causes crash at log_statement = 'mod' or 'ddl'. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: BUG #11335: an invalid prepare statement causes crash at log_statement = 'mod' or 'ddl'.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
>> I have a hard time believing this. Are we really believing that there's
>> a significant number of clients preparing whitespace?
>
> I don't know about "significant number", but the case is specifically
> called out as legal in the FE/BE protocol spec, for example here:
>
>    Therefore, an Execute phase is always terminated by the appearance of
>    exactly one of these messages: CommandComplete, EmptyQueryResponse
>    (if the portal was created from an empty query string), ErrorResponse,
>    or PortalSuspended.
>
> If we change it, that's a protocol break, and I don't think that being a
> tad cleaner is sufficient argument for that.

Agreed. Thinking about that the simple protocol allows to use an empty
query string, there's no reason to not allow it for the extended protocol.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan